Today, the College Savings Plans Network published its 2015 Mid-Year 529 Report. Halfway through the year, 529 plans continue to see sustained growth.
Highlights of the 529 Mid-Year Report include:
- Total Investment: In the first six months of 2015, total investment by American families in 529 plans reached a record level of $258.2 billion.
- Total Assets: In the past twelve months, total assets in 529 plans grew by $13.7 billion dollars.
- Total Number of Accounts: The total number of 529 accounts continued to increase substantially over the past 12 months, up from 11.83 million on June 30, 2014 to 12.33 million as of June 30, 2015.
- Average Account Size: The average 529 account size continues to grow, reaching an all-time high of $20,934 as of June 30, 2015, a 1.3% increase over the past twelve months.
- Total Asset Growth: Including growth from contributions and investment returns, total assets in 529 plans grew by 5.6% since June 30, 2014.
The pace of growth is a positive sign that Americans recognize the value of investing in college savings. 529 plans are one of the most compelling ways for families of all income levels to plan ahead, save for college, and reduce their reliance on student loans. By making wise college savings investment decisions and regular contributions to their accounts, American families will help their children grow and prosper.
I invite you to read the full report here. And keep on saving!